Santa Monica Area Map

Historic Places Search
Date Range: -
Select a date range from the slider 
Neighborhood
Historic Resources
All Types
Landmark  
Landmark
A building, property, or place officially designated by the City of Santa Monica Landmarks Commission that conveys the historical, cultural, or architectural heritage of Santa Monica.
Structure of Merit  
Structure of Merit
A building, property, or structure officially designated by the City of Santa Monica Landmarks Commission which contributes to the understanding of the historical, cultural, or architectural heritage of Santa Monica.
Historic District  
Historic District
A group of buildings, properties, or places officially designated by the City of Santa Monica Landmarks Commission that together define the important aspects of the community's history, such as settlement, development, or architectural styles(s).


Historic Resources Inventory  
Historic Resources Inventory
A database of all properties in Santa Monica built before 1968 that evaluates their potential historic, architectural, or cultural significance.
National Register  
National Register
The nation's official list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that meet National Register criteria of significance. This list includes resources significant at the national, state or local level.
California Register  
California Register
The state's official list of districts, site, building, structures, and objects that meet state and local criteria for significance.
Other Historic Resources  
Other Historic Resources
A historic building, property, or place that helps convey the history of Santa Monica due to important events that occurred there or people who may have lived there.  This may include some buildings lost due to demolition and other points of historical interest.
Search Map
You may refine your search by historic resource; adjust the date slider from both or either end; select a neighborhood; and/or type architect's name, address, year built or building's "known name" into the search field.
 
 
130 Adelaide Drive
Built in 1907, the 6,189-square-foot clapboard house was designed by noted architect Robert Farquhar. Its 20 rooms include a sunroom and billiards parlor plus six bedrooms and six baths. One of the big bonuses to this property are the majestic … more
Known As: Second Roy Jones House
Architect: Robert D Farquhar
Built: 1907
Designated:
130 San Vicente Blvd.
The Teriton Apartments were constructed in 1949 and designed by Sanford Kent AIA (1918 – 1997) who had an established practice in Beverly Hills. This two- and three-story vernacular Modern style garden apartment complex is sheathed in stucco with its … more
Known As: The Teriton Apartments
Architect: Sanford Kent
Built: 1949
Designated: Nov 13, 2006
1337 Ocean Avenue
The area that includes the property at 1337 Ocean Avenue was part of the original town of Santa Monica. In the 1920s and 1930s, most of the empty lots were filled in with single- and multi-family housing. Many of the … more
Known As: 1337 Ocean Avenue
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1926
Designated: July 12, 2004
142 Adelaide Drive
This masterpiece of Craftsman architecture reflects awareness of homes constructed in Pasadena by Charles and Henry Greene and others.  Using natural materials of wood and clay (brick), its horizontal orientation hugs the earth, with layers of low-pitched grable roofs and … more
Known As: Henry Weaver House
Architect: Milwaukee Building Company
Built: 1910
Designated: May, 1, 1989
144 Adelaide Drive
This home was built as a retreat for the Reverend Bishop Thomas Conaty of Los Angeles and San Diego, and is one of the earliest on Adelaide Drive. The site was donated to the church by Judge Juan Carrillo, the … more
Known As: Bishop Connaty House
Architect:
Built: 1907
Designated:
1443-1447 Fourth Street
A Churrigueresque gem, this building has a restored façade and a contemporary interior. Like the Builders Exchange, it displays exuberant sculptural ornament and decorative wrought iron. A broad band of floral ornament with a shield at the center is divided into … more
Known As:
Architect: Henry Hollwedel
Built: 1927
Designated:
2219 Ocean Avenue
Saved from demolition in 2006, this landmarked building is representative of a turn-of-the-century vernacular cottage.  Tax records, Sanborn maps, and a city planning staff report estimate the date built anywhere from 1898 to 1909. At the turn of the twentieth … more
Known As: The Yellow Cottage
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1898 to 1909
Designated: 2006
235 Hill Street
The early 1920s was a time when architects sought inspiration in past historical models, giving rise to Period Revival styles.  However, their interpretations could be very creative, as exemplified in this building, which draws upon Gothic, American Colonial and Italianate … more
Known As: The Church in Ocean Park
Architect: James T Peasgood
Built: 1923
Designated: 3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District
238 Hill Street
According to the City of Santa Monica’s Historic Resources Inventory, this craftsman style property does not appear to have experienced substantial alterations since it was designated a contributor to the “3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District.”
Known As: Craftsman
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1916
Designated: 3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District
240-244 Hill Street
This property consists of four dwellings: a large house on the corner of Hill and 3rd, and three small cottages facing Hill St. According to the City of Santa Monica’s Historic Resources Inventory, this property does not appear to have … more
Known As: 240-244 Hill Street
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1910
Designated: 3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District
245 Hill Street
According to the City of Santa Monica’s Historic Resource Inventory, this property does not appear to have experienced substantial alterations since it was designated a contributor to the “3rd Street Neighborhood District.” As a result, it continues to appear individually … more
Known As: Archer House
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1905
Designated: 3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District
2511 Beverly Avenue
Crowned by several low-pitched gables, this home is one of the oldest structures in the Ocean Park area, as development was sparse until the City gained recognition as a year-round resort in the 1920s.  Jones Brothers was the contractor for … more
Known As: E.C. Japs/Crossland Residence
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1911
Designated: March 8, 2004
2523 Third Street
This home is a striking and rare example of Mediterranean Revival style with rich overlays of Depression Era Moderne and 1930s Streamline design elements. Cosmetics magnate Merle Norman and renown architect Ellis G. Martin created this lavish and iconic Santa … more
Known As: Merle Norman House
Architect: Ellis G. Martin
Built: 1935
Designated: June 10, 1996
2544 Third Street
Extensively restored and enlarged, this building demonstrates how a deteriorated historic home can be transformed, with care and immense effort, into a home for contemporary living. The architecture is called an “Airplane Bungalow” because the smaller second story resembles the … more
Known As: Craftsman
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1912
Designated: 3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District
2602 Third Street
According to the City of Santa Monica’s Historic Resources Inventory, this property does not appear to have experienced substantial alterations since it was designated a contributor to the “3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District.” In addition to this house, two other … more
Known As: 2602 Third Street
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1910
Designated: 3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District
2607-2609 Third Street
The steep cross-gable roof, narrow clapboard siding, bay window under the front porch, recessed front porch and boxed (closed) eaves are all Victorian architectural features.  This house is characteristic of the late phase of the Victorian with the use of … more
Known As: Late Victorian
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1905
Designated: 3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District
2612 Third Street
The architectural style of this house is truly a California eclectic, combining Victorian and Shingle styles with the Craftsman style that was in vogue at that time.  The steep cross gable roof with flared eaves that are closed or “boxed” … more
Known As: 2612 Third Street
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1910
Designated:
2617 Third Street
This “Turn-of-the-Century”cottage does not appear to have experienced substantial alterations since it was designated a contributor to the “3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District.”
Known As: 2617 Third Street
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1902
Designated:
2619 Third Street
Architecturally, this house has classic Craftsman Bungalow features inside and out.  It is clad in wood clapboard, with numerous broad windows lighting the rooms.  The front porch, now enclosed in an early alteration, has tapered square columns.  The prominent cross-gable … more
Known As: Craftsman Bungalow
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1909
Designated: 3rd Street Neighborhood Historic District
301 Wilshire Boulevard
Originally two separate buildings erected in 1930, the one-story Art Deco style commercial property is now considered a single entity. Capped by a wood truss roof, the most distinctive architectural feature is a prominent parapet with zigzag coping highlighted by … more
Known As: Art Deco Commercial Building
Architect: Irvin Goodfellow
Built: 1928
Designated: April 8, 2013
312 Wilshire Boulevard
This reinforced concrete two-story commercial building was designed by architect Paul R. Williams and built by H.W. Baum Company of Los Angeles in 1928. Williams (1894-1980), a notable African American architect who is well recognized in the history of southern California architecture. … more
Known As: Edwin Building
Architect: Paul R. Williams
Built: 1928
Designated: April 14, 2008
431 Wilshire Boulevard
Approximately 25 feet in height from the sidewalk by 15 feet in width, the 1962 neon-lit Plexiglas lettering spelling “Zucky’s” symbolizes the economic and commercial development of the City during the 1950s and early 1960s. The Googie architectural style arose … more
Known As: Zucky’s Wall Sign
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1940
Designated: June 13, 2005
504 Pier Avenue
Originally located in the vicinity of Fourth and Marine Streets, the Vawter House was moved to 504 Pier Avenue around 1907-08. Edwin J. Vawter, who was heavily involved in the development of Santa Monica and the Ocean Park neighborhood, settled with … more
Known As: E.J. Vawter House
Architect: B.L. Balsey
Built: 1889
Designated: Sept. 8, 2014
637 Ashland Avenue
Since this property was last surveyed it does not appear to have experienced significant alterations. As a result, it continues to appear eligible for local listing as a contributor to a previously identified “Ashland Craftsman District.” Additionally, as an excellent … more
Known As:
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1924
Designated:
710 Wilshire Boulevard
Erected in 1928 of steel and concrete construction, the six-story Santa Monica Professional Building features an unusual plan embellished by the Plateresque variant of the Spanish Colonial Revival style. Features of this style include ornate low relief carvings highlighting arches, columns, … more
Known As: Santa Monica Professional Building
Architect: Arthur E Harvey
Built: 1928
Designated: Aug. 8, 2005
947-953 Eleventh Street
The property known as the Voss Apartments, formerly the Fitzgerald Apartments, is located on the east side of 11th Street between Washington Avenue and Idaho Avenue in the City of Santa Monica. The property contains a four-building apartment complex originally … more
Known As: Voss Apartments
Architect: E.P. Fitzgerald
Built: 1937
Designated: June 9, 2014
1360 Third Street
Bank of Italy, which later became the Bank of America, was a fixture downtown in many California cities in the 1920s. Today, we see two distinct layers of the building’s history. The original 1929 building was remodeled and modernized in … more
Known As:
Architect: Krempel & Erkes
Built: 1929
Designated:
Southeast Corner of 3rd Street and Santa Monica Boulevard
As one of Santa Monica’s “lost buildings” this high-style Victorian building was downtown’s first major commercial structure marking the transition from a town to a city.  Besides the National Bank of Santa Monica, it housed the city’s first library, post … more
Known As: Bank of Santa Monica
Architect:
Built: 1890
Designated:
601 Pico Boulevard
Barnum Hall, named after an esteemed principal of Santa Monica High School, was constructed in 1938 under the auspices of the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). The WPA was one of several federal agencies founded to create jobs during the … more
Known As: Barnum Hall
Architect: Marsh, Smith & Powell
Built: 1938
Designated: December 9, 2002
221-225 Santa Monica Boulevard
This 12-story Art Deco office tower, built in 1929, was for over forty years the only high-rise in the city. Visible from many parts of Santa Monica, it is the city’s most prominent designated landmark. The Bay Cities Guaranty Building … more
Known As: Crocker Building
Architect: Walker and Eisen
Built: 1929-1930
Designated: December 13, 2004
3001-3011 Main Street
Built in the Italian Renaissance Revival style, the BPOE Building was a key contributor to the Main Street Historic District’s commercial growth in the 1920s. The former home to the Elks fraternal organization represents the maturation of Santa Monica during … more
Known As: BPOE Building
Architect: C.H. Russell Co. & Clarence H. Russell
Built: 1926-1927
Designated: September 8, 2014
1501 – 1509 4th Street
The Bay Builder’s Exchange Building, an outstanding example of the Churrigueresque architectural style with its elaborate signatory elements, such as stylized pilasters, low-relief cast stone decorative spandrels and ornamental iron work, helped expand Downtown Santa Monica’s commercial district during the … more
Known As: The Builder’s Exchange
Architect: Eugene Durfee
Built: 1927
Designated: June 8, 2009
1424 Fourth Street
Although its profile is somewhat squat, this is one of the city’s principal Art Deco high rises. The owner/architect team of Creel and Durfee also built the Builders Exchange. It consists of a central tower flanked by two lower wings … more
Known As:
Architect: M. Eugene Durfee
Built: 1929
Designated: March 11, 2013
2504 Third Street
The Charles Warren Brown House dates from the time when the community of Ocean Park was only a few decades old, but growing fast. Ocean Park’s development had begun in the 1880s when the first tracts were subdivided. By 1902, … more
Known As: Charles Warren Brown House
Architect: Charles Warren Brown
Built: 1908
Designated: August 11, 1997
330 California Avenue
In 1929, when the Charmont Apartments were constructed, Santa Monica was prospering. The city was known as a playground for the famous and well-to-do and newcomers were arriving daily. As such, there was a need for modern, stylish apartment buildings … more
Known As: Charmont Apartments
Architect: Max Maltzman
Built: 1929
Designated: October 10, 1994
4th Street and Santa Monica Boulevard
Santa Monica constructed its first independent city hall at the southwest corner of 4th and Oregon (Santa Monica Boulevard), at a site that was then just east of downtown’s main commercial core. Choosing the Mission Revival architectural style, it featured … more
Known As: City Hall
Architect: Carol Brown, addition by Henry Hollwedel
Built: 1903
Designated:
1301 - 1313 Third Street
This mixed use building arrived at a time when downtown economic activity was expanding rapidly – the booming 1920s. The building combined retail shops, apartments and a theater in a lavish version of Classical Revival architecture. The Third Street façade … more
Known As: Criterion Theatre & Apartments
Architect: Engineering Service Company
Built: 1923
Designated:
1441 3rd Street
This theater, originally called the Elmiro, was built during the Depression, at a time when construction activity nationwide had all but slowed to a halt. Perhaps because of its entertainment value, this diversion from economic woes was all the more … more
Known As: Elmiro
Architect: Norman W. Alpaugh
Built: 1933
Designated:
1001 Third Street
The stylish and sophisticated Embassy Hotel Apartments were built in 1927. The 1920s were a prosperous time in Santa Monica as the city’s population grew along with its reputation as a chic vacation spot for movie stars and ordinary people … more
Known As: Embassy Hotel Apartments
Architect: Arthur E. Harvey
Built: 1927
Designated: October 13, 2003
2612 Main Street
Architecture experts have disagreed on exactly how to classify the First Roy Jones House. Some see it as a simplified Queen Anne dwelling and note its Victorian details. These include bay windows and the use of ornamental woodwork (such as … more
Known As: Roy Jones House
Architect: Sumner P. Hunt
Built: 1894
Designated: January 2, 1979
1415 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica has long been a desirable destination for tourists and fun-seekers. In the city’s earliest days, vacationers pitched tents on the beach and swam in the surf. As the city grew, so did the sophistication of its amenities for … more
Known As: Georgian Hotel
Architect: M. Eugene Durfee
Built: 1931
Designated: February 22, 1995
1323 Ocean Avenue
Like its neighbor at 1333 Ocean, the Gussie Moran House is a remnant of the time when Ocean Avenue was first developed as a residential street. It is remarkable both for its Victorian styling and as the longtime residence of … more
Known As: Gussie Moran House
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1887 and 1891
Designated: January 27, 1979
402 Santa Monica Boulevard
Although Henshey’s Department Store no longer exists, for many years it was an anchor to Santa Monica’s Central Business District, a retail mecca for Santa Monicans, and an evolving expression of changing tastes in architecture. In the 1920s, when Henshey’s … more
Known As: Henshey's
Architect: Henry C. Hollwedel
Built: 1925 and 1936
Designated: June 20, 1994
140 Hollister Avenue
Horatio West Court is a masterpiece by one of the early-twentieth century’s most innovative architects, Irving Gill. This path-breaking structure, as well as others designed by Gill in Southern California, were among the first truly modernist buildings ever constructed, and … more
Known As: Horatio West Court
Architect: Irving Gill
Built: 1919
Designated: January 2, 1979
1451 Second Street
This four-story hotel is a Beaux-Arts design. It has a base, mid-section and cornice, a composition based upon the European Renaissance palace, which in turn were modeled after the classical column with a base, shaft and capital. For 1928, this … more
Known As: Hotel Carmel
Architect: Kenneth MacDonald
Built: 1928
Designated:
1441 - 1443 Fourth Street
The façade of this building is a true original and a delight to the eye. It seems assembled from different patternbooks rather than from one stylistic type. The building owner, John Bisch, whose initials are emblazoned at the top of … more
Known As:
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1929
Designated:
404 Georgina Avenue
This adobe residence is the work of John Byers, an architect well known for his contributions to Santa Monica’s built environment in the 1920s and 30s. Based in Santa Monica, Byers designed many structures in the city (some twenty-eight are … more
Known As: John Byers Adobe
Architect: John Byers
Built: 1920
Designated: November 8, 2004
2424 Fourth Street
The John W. and Anna George House is a beautiful example of the Craftsman style bungalow, an architectural form that reached its peak in the years before World War I and embodied dreams of the good life in Southern California. … more
Known As: John W. & Anna George House
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1910
Designated: March 17, 1981
310 Santa Monica Boulevard
The Junipher Building at 310 Santa Monica Blvd. was constructed in 1912 and opened in mid‐1913 at the north end of the “new” commercial center of the City. The building was initially designed by the Ye Planry Building Company and was later added onto … more
Known As: Junipher Building
Architect: Ye Planry Building Company and A.C. Martin
Built: 1912
Designated: Sept. 8, 2014
227 Broadway
This prominent building is a major landmark from Santa Monica’s early history, marking her prosperity and ambitions in the 1890s. As a three-story building, it was then the largest building downtown, and made Third Street the new commercial center. Just … more
Known As: Keller Block Building
Architect: Carroll H. Brown
Built: 1893
Designated: October 13, 2008
1455 Fourth Street
The Lido marked the eastward expansion of downtown in the 1920s, with this large residential building replacing wood frame houses. Such a large-scale project was unusual during the Depression, and provided housing for people of modest means. The architecture is pure … more
Known As:
Architect: Harbin F. Hunter
Built: 1931
Designated: November 12, 2001
276 Santa Monica Pier
The Looff Hippodrome, with its charming carousel, is an architectural gem. Built in 1916, the same year as the Looff Pleasure Pier (now called Santa Monica Pier) on which it is located, the hippodrome was the last work of master … more
Known As: The Hippodrome
Architect: Various builders
Built: 1916
Designated: August 17, 1976
1305 2nd Street
Erected in 1914, this three-story Renaissance Revival style brick apartment is situated on a large corner lot with street frontage on 2nd Street and Arizona Avenue. Renaissance Revival buildings in Southern California are generally all or partially sheathed in brick … more
Known As: Mar Vista Apartments
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1914
Designated: Dec 14, 2009
415 Pacific Coast Highway
In the 1920s and 30s the stretch of Pacific Coast Highway between Arizona Avenue and Santa Monica’s northern city limits developed into a lavish enclave for movie stars, entertainment moguls, and other luminaries known as the “Gold Coast.” Many stars … more
Known As: Marion Davies Estate, North Guest House
Architect: Julia Morgan
Built: 1929
Designated: July 17, 1980
212-216 Santa Monica Boulevard
Downtown’s first theater was created by the pioneering investment firm of Charles A. Tegner, one of the city’s most prominent businessmen, and J. Euclid Miles, an active civic leader and donor of the Miles Playhouse (a 1929 landmark located in … more
Known As: Majestic Theatre
Architect: Henry C. Hollwedel
Built: 1911, remodelled 1929
Designated: July 11, 1994
212-216 Santa Monica Boulevard
The Mayfair Theater, originally called the Majestic Theatre, was designed by architect Henry C. Hollwedel for John E. Miles and Charles A. Tegner, who were business partners.  Constructed in 1911, it was built by John S. Jacobs & Sons Company as … more
Known As: Mayfair Theater Terrazzo
Architect: Charles Tegner
Built: 1911
Designated: Sep 9, 2013
2525 Main Street
This Streamline Moderne/Art Deco style building was the former headquarters of Merle Norman Cosmetics.  Its ornate and stylish design reflected Norman’s prosperity and the building towered above most of Main Street’s low-rise commercial structures.  The Streamline styling of this building … more
Known As: Merle Norman Building
Architect: H.G. Thursby
Built: 1936
Designated: November 11, 2002
2523 Third Street
For over twenty years, this Mediterranean Revival style house featuring bracketed eaves and a central chimney was the principal residence of the nationally famed cosmetics entrepreneur, Merle Norman.  After beginning her business in her kitchen, Mrs. Norman set up a … more
Known As: Merle Norman House
Architect: Ellis G. Martin
Built: 1935
Designated: June 10, 1996
1130 Lincoln Boulevard
Born in Ohio in 1851, J. Euclid Miles moved to Santa Monica where he became active in civic affairs, was elected city council member, and was involved in the development of Santa Monica as a partner in the investment firm … more
Known As: Miles Playhouse
Architect: John Byers
Built: 1929
Designated: October 15, 1975
236 Adelaide Drive
This magnificent home was built in 1911, during the first phase of construction on Adelaide Drive. Although many impressive homes have since been constructed on Adelaide, this “Craftsman masterpiece” still sets the standard for architectural excellence. The tract that includes … more
Known As: Millbank Houses
Architect: Milwalkee Building Company
Built: 1911
Designated: March 11, 2002
2601 Second Street
This Victorian house, one of Santa Monica’s oldest buildings, was originally the residence of Moses and Mary Hostetter and their son William. Moses Hostetter had been a farmer in the Midwest before moving to Santa Monica in 1893. Once here … more
Known As: Moses Hostetter House
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1893
Designated: April 12, 1990
2601 Main Street
The Ocean Park Library is a Neoclassical structure completed in 1918. Situated on the corner of Main Street and Ocean Park Boulevard, it has long been a focal point of community life in Ocean Park. The Ocean Park Library was … more
Known As: Ocean Park Library
Architect: Kegley & Garity
Built: 1917-1918
Designated: May 3, 1977
185 Pier Avenue
Spanish Colonial Revival architecture flowered in the 1920s and 30s to become the dominant regional style of Southern California. Of the thousands upon thousands of structures built in this mode however, only a small number were as attractively executed as … more
Known As: Parkhurst Building
Architect: Marsh, Smith & Powell
Built: 1927
Designated: December 6, 1977
147 Georgina Avenue
On October 10, 1910, Robert Farquhar applied for a permit to build this residence.  Nearly 100 years later, the distinctive French Revival residence was designated as a City Landmark.  Originally located at the corner of San Vicente and 7th Street, … more
Known As: R.D. Farquhar Residence
Architect: R.D. Farquhar
Built: 1911
Designated: October 13, 2003
3223 Donald Douglas Loop
The Santa Monica Airport (formerly Cloverfield) is the oldest operating airport in the Los Angeles area.  The tower was originally part of the San Diego-Los Angeles national airway system and represents on of the earliest navigational tools used in night … more
Known As: Rotating Beacon Tower
Architect:
Built: 1928
Designated: August 11, 1988
1210 Fourth Street
The Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club, which would grow to be a formidable force in Santa Monica’s community life, began in 1904 when a group of local women started a study group. The following year they decided to organize formally … more
Known As: Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club
Architect: Henry C. Hollwedel
Built: 1914
Designated: April 8, 1991
1855 Main Street
The decades after World War II were a time of ambitious growth and development in Santa Monica. Constructed in 1958, this building was part of a major effort on the part of the city to develop a coherent civic center … more
Known As: Santa Monica Civic Auditorium
Architect: Welton Becket & Associates
Built: 1958
Designated: April 9, 2002
276 Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica Pier was one of the earliest landmarks designated by the city, not so much because of its architectural distinction, but because it is a uniquely rich reminder of our city’s past. Today’s Santa Monica Pier actually consists of … more
Known As: The Pier
Architect: Charles Looff and others
Built: 1916
Designated: August 17, 1976
302 Colorado Avenue
The Sears store, built just after World War II at 302 Colorado Avenue, is significant on several accounts.  First, the building is an outstanding example of late Streamline Moderne architecture. Streamline Moderne was a phase of Art Deco that became … more
Known As: The Sears Store
Architect: Rowland H. Crawford
Built: 1946
Designated: 2005
1301 Ocean Avenue
The Shangri-La Hotel (Hotel Shangri-La), built in 1939, is situated on the southeast corner of Ocean Avenue and Arizona Avenue with the Pacific Ocean a quarter mile to the west. Evoking the form of a grand ocean liner, the seven-story … more
Known As: 1301 Ocean Avenue
Architect: William E Foster
Built: 1939
Designated: Nov 9, 2009
2520 Second Street
The Shotgun House was built circa 1899 and was likely originally located near the Santa Monica beach before moving to 2712 Second Street in Ocean Park. In the 1890s Ocean Park was being subdivided and settled and was growing fast … more
Known As: Shotgun House
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1890s
Designated: January 11, 1999
205 Washington Avenue
The Sovereign is a five-story Spanish Colonial Revival structure with a landscaped inner courtyard enclosed by a low wall with extended pillars topped by urns.  Other features include stepped rope molding above the portal ends with French doors that open … more
Known As: The Sovereign
Architect: Meyer-Radon
Built: 1928
Designated: January 8, 1996
507-517 Wilshire Boulevard
Constructed on the eve of World War II, this Streamline Moderne commercial building originally housed the LLO-DA-MAR bowling alley which remained in operation for over thirty years. In its original form, the 14,000-square-foot building contained a single story and featured … more
Known As: Streamline Moderne Commercial Building
Architect: W. Douglas Lee
Built: 1940
Designated: February 10, 2003
211 Alta Avenue
Located at 211 Alta, the garden court was built in 1922on a 21,114 square foot lot. Property records show the property as 12 units and a two-story garage, totaling 6,720 square feet, each with its own individually-hued door set in … more
Known As: 211 Alta Ave
Architect: W.R. Covington
Built: 1922
Designated: May 8, 2002
950 Ocean Avenue
The Redwood Pergola is located between Washington Boulevard and Idaho Avenue on Ocean Avenue. It was built in 1912 and is an outstanding example of a Craftsman-style Pergola. By the early 1980s, after nearly three-quarters of a century in the … more
Known As: The Pergola
Architect: Unknown
Built: 1912
Designated: Unknown
954 Fifth Street
The early twentieth century was a time of rapid growth in Santa Monica as waves of immigrants from the East and Midwest flooded into Southern California looking for the good life. This modest cottage at 954 Fifth Street is testimony … more
Known As: Turn of the 20th Century Cottage
Architect: James Kneen
Built: 1906
Designated: December 9, 2002
1338 Third Street
Another member of the variety store retailers that clustered on this section of Third Street, this building is a fine example of the late phase of Art Deco known as Classical Moderne, which revived classical forms with an abstract geometrical … more
Known As: W.T. Grant Building
Architect: Webber & Nelson
Built: 1936
Designated:
119-131 Broadway
This building was a major project for its time, a two-story masonry corner block that stood out from neighboring small, single-story shops.  With ground floor retail and the Palmer Lodgings above, it originally was an imposing Romanesque Revival building like … more
Known As: Whitworth Block
Architect:
Built: 1891
Designated:
1314-1316 Wilshire Boulevard
The Wilshire Theatre is the only remaining building from the pre-World War II era in the 1300 block of Wilshire Boulevard since other commercial buildings on the block of were constructed after World War II. The building was designed by John … more
Known As: Wilshire Theatre
Architect: John M Cooper
Built: 1930
Designated: Jan. 14, 2008
710 Adelaide Place
The 1920s were an exuberant period in Southern California architecture. During this time the region underwent explosive population growth and architects worked overtime to devise desirable homes for residents. For the public and architects alike, “desirable” often meant houses with … more
Known As: Zuni House
Architect: Robert Stacy-Judd
Built: 1926
Designated: March 10, 2003
2101 La Mesa Drive
This property is a one-story, single-family residence reminiscent of the rustic adobe dwellings once found on haciendas during the Mexican Colonial period (1821-1846) in what is now the American Southwest. Designed and built by renowned local architect John Byers in … more
Known As: Zimmers House
Architect: John Byers
Built: 1924
Designated: May, 12 2008