Annual Meeting and Preservation Awards

Feb 24 2:00pm-4:00pm
1314 7th Street Santa Monica, CA 90401

The Santa Monica Conservancy is pleased to host our Annual Meeting and Preservation Awards at the Associate Telephone Company Building at 1314 7th Street and offer its members an early look at an exciting adaptive reuse project now underway.  Better known as the GTE building, this Art Deco structure will soon showcase a restored exterior and interior spaces accommodating creative office uses. A rooftop terrace adjacent to our meeting room on the top floor offers spectacular views.

AssociatedTelephoneBldg - bwPhoto courtesy of Chattel, Inc.

Conservancy member and local developer Philip Orosco has generously provided space for our Annual Meeting, enabling our guests to witness the transformation of this important historic building by his firm, Pacshore Partners. Our program will include a presentation by Jenna Snow of Chattel Inc., Historic Preservation Consultants, with an overview of the building’s history and current renovation plans.

Program includes:

  • Preservation and Service Awards
  • 2012 in Review
  • Preservation Resource Center Update
  • Board Elections
  • History of the Associated Telephone Building
  • Refreshments

This event is free, and the public is cordially invited. However, space is limited and advance reservations are advised by February 20.

Register online at http://smconservancy.org.kintera.org/2013AnnualMeeting, by sending email to rsvp@smconservancy.org or by leaving a message at (310) 496-3146.

Parking is available in the building’s lot (enter from 6th),   at the adjacent Santa Monica Public Library or on the street.

 

About the Associated Telephone Company Building

OriginalAssociatedTelephoneCompanyBldg1937Associated Telephone Company Building as constructed in 1937,
photo courtesy of the Santa Monica History Museum.

Constructed in 1937 as a three-story building, it was the western headquarters of Associated Telephone Company, a holding company for GTE. Another three stories were added in 1946. The City’s Historic Resources Inventory identifies the building as one of three buildings constituting a potential thematic district for their association with the historic telephone companies operated in Santa Monica.  The lobby ceiling illustrates the significance of telephone communication to facilitate and influence patterns of suburban and urban growth.