February 15, 2013
The Santa Monica Conservancy recognized exemplary contributions to the preservation of Santa Monica’s architectural and cultural heritage by honoring individuals, building owners and architectural firms during its Annual Meeting on Sunday, February 24.
The Conservancy’s President’s Award was presented to William and Lenore Lambert for the example set by their stewardship of the Biedler-Heuer Building at 2701-2705 Main Street, home of businesses Jadis, Paris 1900, and the Chinois-on-Main banquet hall. The Lamberts, second generation owners, approached the Landmarks Commission about the building during a discussion about the historic structures on Main Street. After it was designated, they wondered how anyone would know it is a City landmark so they recently erected a historic plaque describing its significance.
The owner of the Isaac Millbank House at 236 Adelaide, and his project team received the Restoration Award for their comprehensive restoration of this iconic Craftsman designed and built in 1911 by the prominent architectural firm, the Milwalkee Building Company. The restoration included extensive research on historic materials and finishes, new wood shakes matching original in materials and dimensions, restoration of original doors and windows, and a new chimney based on the original design and finish materials. Team members were: Kelly Sutherlin McLeod, FAIA; John Griswold, Griswold Conservation Associates, LLC; Appleton & Associates, Inc., Administrative Architect; Balcorp Construction, General Contractor; David Cocke, S.E., Structural Focus, Inc.; Barbara Ashba, Ashba Engineers, LTD; Christine London, Landscape Architect; and Karin Blake, Interior Designer.
The Renovation Award went to 2240 6th Street, a modest, single-story Craftsman home, built in 1915, which was carefully restored on the exterior. The interior was beautifully modernized with a contemporary open plan. Owners John Given and Daphne Dennis collaborated with architects Hank Koning and Julie Eizenberg (KEA) to create an inspiring example for other homeowners. The builder was Charles Kuipers. The Given/Dennis and KEA collaboration first began in 1984 with an equally transformative addition that has become a studio apartment.
The Adaptive Reuse Award was presented to NMS Properties and their architects, Killefer Flammang, for preserving a unique historical artifact, a World War II Quonset hut, keeping its historic exterior intact while the interior was remodeled, making it a focal point for its new mixed use complex at 8th and Broadway.
The owners of the Horatio West Court in Ocean Park, Bill Creber, Margaret MacLean, Wende Watt and Barbara Whitney, received the Stewardship Award for their exceptional dedication to the preservation of this significant multiple-unit project by architect Irving Gill. The successive owners of the Court have, for over four decades, restored, preserved and maintained the four units in pristine original condition and have created a landscape setting that is compatible in spirit.
The Rehabilitation Award was given to Community Corporation of Santa Monica for rehabilitating a significant number of older multi-family homes over several decades, both historic and non-historic, thereby giving renewed life to the city’s existing housing stock while fulfilling their mission of expanding access to affordable housing. The example above is 2302 5th Street, a 6-unit Craftsman built in 1912.
Jerry Rubin and David Conrad were recognized with the Advocacy Award for their leadership in the campaign to protect and preserve the “Chain Reaction” sculpture created by Paul Conrad, a signature part of the Civic Center and Santa Monica’s first landmark work of public art. For more information on Chain Reaction, see www.conradprojects.com.
Hostelling International in Santa Monica received the Conservancy’s Outstanding Service Award for its ongoing support of the Conservancy’s weekly Downtown Walking Tour. The Hostel offered use of its facilities for the initial docent training in 2007. Management and staff have continued to provide use of the lobby and the Rapp Salon as gathering places for the tours and have always welcomed our docents and tour guests. The Hostel has partnered with the Conservancy on one of its most important educational programs.
This year’s Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service was presented to Stephen and Christy McAvoy. Although not residents of Santa Monica, this couple has given extraordinary service to the Conservancy. Steve has devoted considerable energy, leadership and expertise as Vice Chair of the Conservancy’s current capital campaign. Christy has been invaluable to the Conservancy’s docent program at the Annenberg Community Beach House, providing both written materials and lectures to train docent volunteers and to educate the public about the history of the Beach House.
A second Outstanding Volunteer Service award was presented to Dick Orton for his eight years of service as the Conservancy Newsletter’s graphic designer, for his many contributions of imaginative ideas and graphic skills to the Program Committee; as photographer at Conservancy programs; and as creator of the 2010 Adventures Tour.
The Conservancy has recognized exemplary contributions to preservation in Santa Monica with awards at the Annual Meeting since 2004. At the first awards ceremony, the late Michael Rosenthal accepted an award for the Santa Monica Mirror’s illustrated “Landmarks and Treasures” series, which included both famous and little-known Santa Monica historic and cultural sites.
In recent years, the awards program has expanded to include multiple categories. If you would like to make a suggestion for the 2014 Awards, please send email to email@example.com, providing a description of the project or individual and why you are making the recommendation.